Sunday, 15 July 2012
Steam swim
Following my move to a new city I registered with a gym close to my flat for a ridiculous amount, I'm usually drawn to bare bones gyms with just the basic equipment and why you may ask, because it's goddamn cheap.
So here I pay treble what I paid in my last gym, but boy was it worth it!!!
On Thursday evening straight from work I walk into the gym hoping for a leisurely swim. The receptionist (yes you heard me) calls me by name and says that I'd have to wait for half an hour while the aqua aerobics class finishes, and the other pool is been used by the swim team. She then suggests I go try out the steam room and spa... hey wait a minute I think, this man here is all for the running, swimming, cycling, odd weight lifting but not spa treatments,no not for me, that's for the plural of"another name to call a cat a kitten"-thank you Naughty By Nature.
Since I planned on swimming only, I hadn't thought to bring my workout clothes so I decided to take a plunge and try out her suggestion. Now don't get me wrong, I've being to spas before, but never alone and usually with ...(clears throat).
What was I going to do? Just sit there and count the minutes?
I finally got changed, and entered into one of the steam rooms, definitely not in the league of Thermae Bath Spa, but how many are. Was still impressed with what it had going for it though.
I spent the 1st 4 minutes in there contemplating how bored I was getting, after that, the world around me just fell away. I was transported to this world where I had no cares anymore, who cared if Oracle 10g was more robust than 11g or that the backup had not been tested, not me. I was breathing in steam, my body was being purged of everything. Peeps, if you have not tried a steam room after a hard week, trust me, you'll be blown away.
Anyway by the time I left the steam room and headed for the pool, the fat ladies had gone for the evening and I had the pool all to myself(except for the guy showing off his 30 second front crawl #see definition of envy).
I had planned to spend at least an hour in the pool, I barely spent 30 minutes, I felt so sleepy and relaxed.
Lesson here; never steam before swim.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment